GEORGIA. CLASSIC ASCENT OF MOUNT TETNULD, 4856 M
Заказать этот тур!
Book this tour!
One of the most beautiful summits of Caucasus covered with legends. A serious route, wonderful panoramas. Ascent of mount Tetnuld is the next level after climbing to summits such as Layla or Kazbek.
Tetnuld's snow-white pyramid can be seen from Mestia, the capital of Svanetia, and from many valleys and settlements of Caucasus. This mount, which floats over the green alpine meadows, rocks and forests, is the brightest diamond in the crown of Svan landscapes. Standing proudly in the mountain chain of the Greater Caucasus Range,Tetnuld displays its glaciers and the sharp edges of its ribs, which turn pink in the beams of sunrise and sunset and sparkle with eternal snows during the day.Ascent to mount Tetnuld becomes a dream for many hikers and alpinists visiting Svanetia. It is no less beautiful as majestic but treacherous and almost impregnable Ushba. But at the same time there is a route of climbing Tetnuld passable for tourists who have some experience. This ascent will be interesting for both novice and experienced climbers.
Here is a legend about Tetnuld. In Georgian language "Tetnuld" means "Bride", "white mount", it is a sacred mount for Svans, a proud and freedom-loving people inhabiting this part of Georgia. There is an ancient Svan legend about love. Once upon a time there lived a beautiful girl and a strong young guy, who deeply fell in love with each other. But, as it often happens in this land, they turned out to be distant relatives, and marriages between relatives are forbidden! Their parents were against their relationships and marriage. When the young people realized that they won't be able to be together, they turned into mountains. He became the mighty Ushba and she turned into eternal white as a bride mount of Tetnuld...
Ascent to Tetnuld is more difficult that to Kazbek or Elbrus. Our instructors will make a training ascent with you to the picturesque rocky Koruldi summit at the foot of legendary Ushba. During special trainings you will learn how to overcome the rocks, snow and ice, how to use special alpinist equipment. You will get a wonderful opportunity to enjoy the beauty of valleys and mountains of the Greater Caucasus Range, to see famous summits such as Ushba, Shkhara, Gestola and others.
And of course you will get acquainted with Svanetian hospitality, you will be able to see its ancient towers, to taste delicious Georgian cuisine, to learn about traditions of the proud freeom-loving Svan people, who had never been conquered by anyone. So if you are ready to test yourself in this exciting and challenging tour than ascend of mount Tetnuld is your plan B.
The program of classical ascent of Tetnuld is quite intense and has 2B category of difficulty. Climbers must have skills of initial alpinist training and acclimatization.
If you want the ascent to Tetnuld to be successful you should get acclimatization at 3500-4500 m height. For this reason we strongly recommend you to make one of the easier ascents, for example, to Kazbek (5033 m) or Layla (4008 m) or go to one of the trekkings/hikes. We can add them to the program of your trip to Tetnuld.
In this tour you will be able to get technical and high-altitude experience, basic alpinist skills, which will definitely help you in further alpine travels, for example, during trekkings and ascents in Nepal.
Our ascent starts in the village of Mestia, the capital of Svanetia. This is a unique remote region of Georgia with plenty of historical and cultural sites. Here you can find the famous Svan towers and ancient churches, many of which are hundreds and even thousand years old! We will visit them and take amazing photos. Svanetia is the motherland of many famous alpinists. The world-famous Michail Hergiani was granted the title "Tiger of rocks" by the British Queen. We can visit the house-museum of this prominent climber, talk with his sister, also a former alpinist. If we have time and desire we will add interesting excursions by Mestiaand its neighborhood. Tourists from all over the world enjoy trips to Ushguli village, which is situated at 2100-2200 m above the sea and is considered to be the most alpine permanent settlement in Europe (after Kurush village in Dagestan, 2560 m).
We recommend you not to limit yourself only with ascent. You should spend more time in Georgia. We can propose you wonderful excursions by the whole country or separate regions (Kakheti, Borjomi,...), seaside rest and many other cool things. We will arrange transport and accommodation for you...Do not hurry up! Enjoy!
Maximum altitude: 4856 m
Best season: July-August
PLAN OF THE PROGRAM "GEORGIA. CLASSIC ASCENT OF MOUNT TETNULD" DAY BY DAY:
Day 1 – meeting in Mestia, taking up residence in a guesthouse, Georgian cuisine, walk by the village, narzans, Svan towers. If desired – excursion to Michael Hergiani museum, to the modern museum of Svanetia
Day 2 – radial walk to Chalaat icefall, ice trainings, overnight stop in a guesthouse
Day 3 – moving to Koruldi lakes (on foot or by car), ascent to mount Koruldi, overnight stop in tents at 3000 m height
Day 4 – descent to Mazeri village, transfer to Mestia. Half day rest, preparation for the ascent, overnight stop in a guesthouse
Day 5 – transfer to the camp "the Amarants nest" (by car and on foot), overnight stop in tents, 3700 m
Day 6 – moving to the "Shoulder" of Tetnuld, having rest before the ascent, overnight stop in tents, 4200 m
Day 7 – ascent to the summit of Tetnuld (2B) by the south-western ridge, descent to the camp "the Amarants nest", overnight stop in tents, 3700 m
Day 8 – descent to the foot of the mount and transfer to Mestia, overnight stop in a guesthouse
Day 9 – spare day in case of bad weather
Day 10 – departure from Mestia
you should be ready for:
- 5-6 days of living in conditions with limited comfort,
- the tour is organized in a form of expedition, where the participants arrange their everyday life. Group equipment, food and cooking duties are equally divided between the participants. The participants put tents and cook themselves,
- the backpack weight is up to 20 kg,
- air temperature at more than 3000 m height can fall down to -5-0°C at night,
the price of the tour includes:
- guide services (if the group consists of more than 4 climbers it will be accompanied by the second guide),
- staying in tents and food during the ascent (hot breakfast and supper, lunch),
- rent of group and special alpinist equipment (tents, climbing ropes, ice axes, first aid kit, kitchen and navigation tools),
- medical insurance, - useful present from the company,
the price of the tour doesn't include:
- the cost of transfer from your place of residence to the starting point of the program (Mestia) and back,
- transfers on the route,
- rent of personal special equipment,
- food and payment for residence in localities (Mestia, from 25$ per night with 2 meals in a guesthouse, from 35$ per night with breakfast in 3 stars hotel),
- transfer from Tbilisi/Kutaisi/Batumi to Mestia (about 25$) and back,
- food and drinks during transfers,
- excursions, degustations, Roman baths...
Ukrainian and Russian citizens don't need Georgian visa How to get to Tbilisi, Batumi, Zugdidi. Reference
You can see photos from our past trips in the photo section: "Photo-report about trekking with ascent of Layla. August 2013", "Georgia. Trekking in Svanetia. Mestia, Adishi, Ushguli", "Svanetia", "Tbilisi", "Svanetia in spring 2013", "Ascent of Kazbek", "Kazbek 2013. August" and "Tbilisi and Mtskheta".
- you should pay 150€ prepayment and send scans/copies of tickets to book a place in the tour,
- the indicated price of the tour is for 4 persons, if the tour is ordered for a smaller group the price shall be specified individually,
- for groups consisting of more than 4 persons individual dates, trip schedule, services and route can be arranged,
- special requirements for participation in the tour: the absence of diseases incompatible with active tourism,
- the guide's decisions during the ascent are final and shall not be discussed. When taking part in the trip you certainly agree with all terms and conditions specified in the tour description,
- please, read the useful information when preparing for the trip